Tuesday, August 5, 2014

The week of exploding objects!

My watch exploded after a good 2.5 years of service, my suitcase
exploded after a solid 4 transfers and a flight from America to Japan
and the work exploded, meaning we increased our teaching pool by an
infinite amount, taking it from 0 investigators and potential
investigators to 0 investigators and 1.5 potential investigators. I'll
just let you wonder how the .5 works.

Heyo, minasan!

There was a bit of misinformation in those transfer updates last week!
We are not whitewashing the area, we are opening it! Normally that's
not too big of a deal, but we also have our own apartment! We also had
no food or supplies necessary for survival! Because of that, we also
now have almost no money! At least, no money comparatively to how we
normally start out the month, but it's gonna be tight haha

Weekly Questions!

Where would I rather live? On the Beach or in a city?
City for sure! If the beach was close to things to do, that would be
alright, but there definitely have to be people and places within the
realm of interesting and nearby things.

If I had to be sick would I rather have stomach or heart problems?
Like, seriously ill? I would prolly prefer heart problems, quite
honestly. I've found that, for me at least, it's easier to continue to
work through the pain of heart problems, 'cuz it seems to only cause
you to feel pain, but with stomach problems it kinda hits all of your
muscles and ends up making your abs and core really sore and makes it
difficult to move properly, so it takes you out longer.

If I had to choose a part of my body to lose what would it be?
My pinky toe haha. Nah but really, if it was a full on part, I would
probably want to lose my right leg's bottom section, if it was only
one part. If it had to be the full leg I'd prolly do the same. The
reason is that your hands need to be extremely dexterous, and your
head is just a bit important, but with a leg you can get mechanics for
it and you could make some pretty sweet Halloween costumes with a
missing leg haha

How many YSA are in my new ward?
Lots, but even the other elders have no idea exactly. We hung out in
their class and there were about eight of them, but in this ward, it
is way weird 'cuz it's a stake center and there are two wards that
meet in the building every Sunday, so our church starts at 1:30. That
may not seem too weird for you people in America or places similar,
but it's way trippy here and it throws off our whole Sunday schedule.
The relation to the question is that we can't accurately count because
there are two wards and often visitors and occasionally investigators.
Definitely a good problem, ne?

Can I bring a sword home for Chris?
I would love to, Chris! They are generally a bit expensive, though,
and I'm not sure how Ima fit it in my bag, but hey, if the opportunity
arises, look forward to it! It may take a while!

How is my new area? How is my new area treating me?
It's going good! We don't really even know where our area is yet,
seeing as how we lack a map, but the bits we do know seem pretty fun!

Do I know why Japan is called the land of the rising sun?
No idea. I'm sure I could tell you all something that sounded
convincing that I really just made up on the spot, but you guys have
Google access, so that doesn't work too well, ne? I thought about
asking my companion 'cuz he loves Ninja shtufts and studied it before
his mission and collected their weapons and shtufts, so he would
prolly know, but he's sleeping and I don't want to bug him.

How is Elder Brooksby the younger doing?
I'm doing great! Still bummed about leaving Hodogaya, but I know God
will let me return there one day, one way or another, so it's not
really goodbye, right?

Did I make any girls cry when I left my last area?
That is an excellent question! I can think of specific persons that I
think felt sad, but I really have no way of asking them directly haha.
I didn't catch sight of any tears as I left, but I did have a random
older member send me a message saying that everyone misses me, which I
assume means that that family misses me and by default that means
everyone else too, ne?

What is my best Japanese tale?
A tale about Japan, or a tale in Japanese? I assume you mean about
Japan, seeing as how you couldn't prolly read the Japanese haha. I
honestly don't know many stories like that beyond my own experiences
and the experiences that other missionaries have told me. I do know
some stories about some of the other religions we encounter out here,
some pretty creepy shtufts, but I'll spare you that knowledge. We pick
that stuff up because it really actually applies to what we do out
here, but regular history like that isn't as useful.

When we were introducing ourselves in church, for some reason one of
the questions they asked all of us was "Who is your favorite Disney
princess?", which I had to tell them that it's been so long and I
really didn't watch Disney a ton, so I had no idea. The best bit was
that that question was asked in priesthood.


Random Story Time!
Transfers are always a fun time because many missionaries travel
without a phone or a companion, which always worries the Zone Leaders
quite a bit, because they really don't want to lose anybody. I had
transferred  to Hodogaya through the north mission on a 1.5 hour train
ride, quite a bit longer than most, and had only been about 10 minutes
late, so when I heard that I would be transferring to Kanagawa, I
messaged the elders there and asked which was the closest station to
the apartment, and it only ended up being 30 minutes away, so I wasn't
worried in the slightest about it.
Anyways, the morning of transfers, Elder Otsuka and I head down to the
station after the other elders had already left, to grab the new
Hodogaya missionaries and show them their apartment before we left,
and on the way we stopped by a seven-eleven to grab my transfer plans
'cuz I hadn't received them yet. Then we headed up to the apartment
and we showed them in, I checked my plans for when I had to leave,
then we tried to hurry back to the station, but I ended up missing the
train I was scheduled for, so I just thought "Ah well, I remember the
name of the station that the other elders said was closest, so I'll
just get myself over there!" and then I did and nobody was at that
station, which is a bit freaky when you are in a new place with no
phone, so I tried to ask a Japanese guy if I could borrow his phone
but he said no, which was a bummer.
Then I noticed a convenience store so I went to see if it had WiFi so
I could send an email and figure out where everybody was, but for some
reason the WiFi didn't work there, and I've come to find out most
convenience store's WiFi here don't work. So I headed back to the
station and opened my transfer plans again and noticed that my
destination was actually a different station that I had almost
accidentally gone to when trying to find where I was then, so I headed
there and ended up being about 45 minutes late. It was quite the
adventure!

If anyone wants anything cool, message me! There are actually some
shops here and I'm gonna work on putting together a package soon!

Loves!
Younger Elder Brooksby

No comments:

Post a Comment